Group Project Proposal (Science)
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, SINGAPORE
INVESTIGATIVE SKILLS IN SCIENCE
Names: Ramirez, Jeffrey, Moe
Group Reference: H
A. Indicate the type of research that you are adopting:
[ X ] Measure a function or relationship: Experimental research (II)
e.g. Investigation of the effect of temperature on the growth of crystals
- Type & Category
Type of research: _______3_______ (Experimental research)
Category – __________14_________ (ENERGY & TRANSPORTATION )
Sub-category – ________B________ (Aerodynamics)
Application of project relevant to SST Community, Society or the World:
Share our findings of aerodynamics and how pressure and angle of release affects projectile travel distance with the rest of the school.
Other Topics Included:
C. Write down your research title:
To investigate the effect of angle of ramp and volume of water in PET Water Rocket on the distance travelled by a PET water rocket.
D. (a) Aim / question being addressed
We want to find out what the best angle of release(angle of ramp) and water to air ratio is for the longest travel distance by PET water rocket.
(b) Independent variable
The independent variable is angle of ramp, volume of water inside the PET rocket.
(c) Dependent variable
The dependent variable is the horizontal distance travelled by the PET water rocket.
(d) Constant variables
(a) Type of PET water rocket
(b) Air Pressure
(c) Location (Field)
The hypothesis is the best angle of the ramp to allow the rocket to travel the furthest is 45 degrees and best water to air ratio is 1:1
E. Method – Description in detail of method or procedures (The following are important and key items that should be included when formulating ANY AND ALL research plans.)
(a) Equipment list:
- Air pump
- 2m PVC pipe (with connectors, etc.)
- 1.5 litre bottles
- Duct Tape
- Hot Glue
- PVC Glue
- Nylon Coated Steel Long Tape
- 3 of 10 x 12 x ¾ inch plank
(c) Procedures: Detail all procedures and experimental design to be used for data collection
1. Set up the experiment as shown in the diagram above.
2. Adjust the angle of the ramp by putting the wooden plank in slots
3. Place the bottle and the launcher on the stand on the ramp
4. Fill the bottle with specific amount of water
5. Lock the bottle in place by pushing the pin in the locking hole
6. Pump the bottle with the amount of PSI you want
7. When ready, pull the pin and the rocket will launch
8. Use the Nylon Coated Steel Long Tape to record the horizontal distance travelled by the rocket
9. Record down the horizontal distance travelled
10. Repeat steps 2-9 three times for different angles and volume of water
11. Take the results and draw a conclusion.
- Chisel out 5 slots in the one of the 10 x 12 x ¾ inch planks in equal intervals
- Chisel out 1 slot near the end of another 10 x 12 x ¾ inch plank plank
- Place both pieces of wood with the slots on the inside and drill a hinge to secure both planks together
(d) Risk, Assessment and Management: Identify any potential risks and safety precautions to be taken.
The rocket might explode.
Students must wear protective gear such as safety goggles while carrying out the experiment.
The rocket might hit other people’s property such as cars.
Make sure there is plenty of space to carry out the experiment and not launch it towards properties.
The rocket might hit people.
Make sure people do not come in the way of the rocket.
Unlikely and not severe harm
Likely but not severe OR Unlikely but severe
Likely and Severe harm
Table 3: Risk Assessment and Management table
(e) Data Analysis: Describe the procedures you will use to analyze the data/results that answer research questions or hypotheses
1. Take note of the PSI and water-air ratio used to launch the rocket
2. Tabulate the horizontal distance travelled by the water rocket
3. Put the data in the table and compare the horizontal distance to the other PSI and water-ratio used to launch the rocket
F. Bibliography: List at least five (5) major sources (e.g. science journal articles, books, internet sites) from your literature review. If you plan to use vertebrate animals, one of these references must be an animal care reference. Choose the APA format and use it consistently to reference the literature used in the research plan. List your entries in alphabetical order for each type of source.
Adamick, M. (2014). Dad’s book of awesome science experiments: From boiling ice and exploding soap to erupting volcanoes and launching rockets, 30 inventive experiments to excite the whole family! Cincinnati, OH, United States: Adams Media.
Retrieved January 17, 2017, from http://waterockets.com/PdfFiles/RocketBook.pdf
Retrieved January 12, 2017, from Kern Rural Teacher Residency
Anonymous, & verified, not. (2006, October 2). Water propelled rocket. Retrieved January 12, 2017, from ScienceBits, http://www.sciencebits.com/RocketEqs
Retrieved January 11, 2017, from https://www.nasa.gov/pdf/153406main_Rockets_Water_Rocket_Construction.pdf
iCreatables (2014, October 21). How to build the simplest water bottle rocket launcher Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyOzvqmUs4c
Stoked About Science (2014, August 5). How to build a water rocket launcher Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ostV44ljVRY
Angle of Ramp
Volume of Water
Horizontal Distance Travelled
What it’s used for
Direct air into the bottle for launching
Connect PVC pipe to provide support so it will stay upright
PVC 90° elbow connector
Connect PVC pipe to PVC reducer coupling
PVC reducer coupling
Connects smaller pipe to a bigger pipe so that the pipe can go into the bottle to pump air in
PVC end caps
Prevent air from escaping and allows the tyre valve to be locked into place to pump air in
Pump air into the launcher
Large wooden planks
Main part of the ramp
Small wooden planks
To allow the bottle rocket to rest in place when getting launched
Brass Door Hinges
Allows the ramp to move up and down to change angle of the ramp
Hold the hinges in place
Pump air into launcher
Used as rocket
Measure horizontal distance travelled by rocket
Measure water used for launching rocket
Glue PVC pipes and connectors together to form air-tight seal
Adds extra sealing to prevent water and air leakage